Thursday 16 March 2017

Crochet | Hexagon Blanket Sewing Up & Half Hexagon Tutorial

   
Heard the saying, a girl can never have too many shoes... 
Well it's true with crochet projects too!

Although I probably DO have too many...

With so many exciting craft projects on the go, lists of things I want to make and future DIY ideas whizzing around my head I'm finding I'm not giving myself enough time to focus on finishing those I have already started, including this beautiful plum hexagon blanket. So I thought I'd set aside some time to start sewing my hexagon blanket together and show you guys how I did it along the way!
 Check out my first post about how to construct a hexagon here...

I am using the amazing plum bundle from Bella Coco Store, they are super afforable and come with 6 balls of Style Craft DK yarns in a range of tonal colours! I have already got my eye on the ocean bundle for my next project!


  Here's how to sew up your crocheted hexagon blanket...

Start by turning your hexagons over to work from the under side. Place your first hexagons side by side with two flat sides parallel to each other. 
Using a large sewing up needle, thread one colour of yarn and make a loop in the end.

1. Start at one of the corners and thread through the same stitch on each hexagon. 
2-3. Pass the needle through the loop in the end of the thread and pull to tie a secure end.
4. Sew up the sides of you hexagons, catching corresponding stitches on each side. Continue around all the sides then tie off and start on another hexagon.

I kept changing yarn colours depending on the colour of the hexagon I was sewing up, I just chose the lightest shade or the colour I thought would blend in the best.




If you want a straight edge to your hexagon blanket you can create a little thing called a half hexagon. I am going to have these running along two edges of my blanket as I think they look super cute! I followed along with Bella Coco's tutorial when making these, she has some amazing crochet videos that are really easy to follow, check the video out here.

Here's how to make a half crocheted hexagon...


 Make a slip knot and start by chaining 4 then slip stitch into the fourth chain from the hook to create a circle. 

Chain 3 to create your first treble, then make a treble stitch into the center of the circle. Chain 2 to create a gap, then make two trebles into the center of the circle again. Repeat once more, so you have three groups of trebles separated by two chain 2 gaps. 
Chain 3, then turn your work over.

Make your second row by working a treble into the next stitch and another into the chain two gap in the row below.

Chain 2, then make one treble into the same chain two gap below. Make trebles into the next TWO stitches along, then another into the chain two gap in the row below.


Chain 2, then make one treble into the chain two gap in the row below. Treble into the next stitch. Treble into the last stitch to finish off the end. 
Chain 3, then turn your work over.

Treble into the next TWO stitches, then make a treble into the chain two gap from the row below.
Chain 2, treble into the chain two gap from the row below. Make trebles into the next FOUR stitches along, then another into the chain two gap in the row below.
Chain 2, then make one treble into the chain two gap in the row below. Treble into the next TWO stitches. Treble into the last stitch to finish off the end.
 







   
I am about half way through completing my hexagon blanket, this one has taken a lot longer than my corner to corner blanket  I made at the beginning of the year from the green ombre bundle. That blanket crocheted up fast and was fairly continuous, but this has a lot of stopping and starting, although so fun to make, not to mention sooo pretty! 

I am really happy with how it's looking so far and can't wait to share the final result with you. 


I hope you have found this tutorial useful, leave me lovely comments below if you have ever made a hexy blanket or want to start one! I love hearing your your crafting adventures!


Anna 

x


More crochet goodness? Check these out...

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig